Saturday, May 7, 2011

Movie: Thor

Source: Google Images
If you are prepared to be swept away into another dimension, grab on to your seats because Thor will blow you away with its twisted plots that make the obvious so obvious that you assume something else but in the end, your assumptions will blow up in your face and you realize the obvious mistake - by overestimating the director.

Even though it is loosely based on Marvel comics and also Norse mythology, brief research into Norse mythology shows that the cast are very much miscasted. For example, Sif is supposed to be Thor's wife and she was supposed to be blonde. I suppose this is the director's way of saying, "I'm only borrowing a few elements here and there and boom. Here's something new." Because I can't help but be reminded of other movies such as Atlantis (Disney) from the floaty thingie you can see on the right side of the screen while they are showing you Asgard. The red cape from Thor's costume strongly reminds me of Superman, especially when he flies. And many more, just keep your eyes peeled, it'll come to you. 

I didn't look into the Marvel comics to compare its adaptation to film, but on IMDb, the reviews seem pretty fantastic and Marvel fans don't seem to be let down at all. 

It well exceeded my expectations, I was expecting something like Clash of the Titans, but I got some other mix I was not prepared for and I enjoyed it. I like how they incorporated magic and science into one entity. 

There are quite a few comedic scenes - I was half-expecting Thor to scream 'I AM SON OF ODIN' and 'DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!' every time he doesn't get his way - and dramatic scenes, but there wasn't a scene which brought me anywhere close to tears. But still, I can't wait to watch this again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter