Tuesday, September 20, 2011

never too late

this was my dream. something i repeatedly had to fight for, lose and earn.
I always had excuses but now I have more reasons to leave than stay.


So I'm not planning to come back to Malaysia any time soon, I have made up a small list of things to buy because it's either hard or expensive to get it where I'm going. Ok, I'm not trying to be mysterious or secretive but I don't want to jinx anything so I'll only be posting up my destination when everything is confirmed.

Feel free to skip this whole chunk of paragraph: As a Chinese, I think it's in my blood to yearn for porcelain, flawless white skin. So if there was a miracle product that can give me that, I would probably kill to get it. I would take out cities if I have to. But the truth is, I'm really not very hardworking or consistent at all, and I have had really bad skin since I was... 12? I was out in the sun all day, golfing, swimming, playing basketball and being rough with the guys without even sunscreen. Trust me, my mother tried very hard to get me used to sunscreen but I just wouldn't stand for it! And then I had to pay for it. - - I struggled with it for the longest time but never really put the effort into achieving what I want. It's like saying I want it I want it I want it but never really working for it. So yea. Keep in mind that everyone's skin is different, and what works for me may not work for you. I have been experimenting with many different types of facewash and skincare, not to mention our hormones change with age so what I think is working for me could just be a shift in my hormones. Am trying to really care for my looks like a proper lady, but sometimes I honestly can't be arsed to roll out of bed to wash my face. I would very much rather stay in my room till the sun goes down before I even venture out of my room. So girls, take care of your skin! Cleanse, tone and moisturize properly and most importantly, sunblock!! Sorry for digressing, list below:

Cleanser - Hada Labo Tamagohada AHA/BHA Cleanser

Its key ingredients, salicylic acid, alpha hydroxy acid and beta hydroxy acid is commonly used to fight skin problems such as acne, whiteheads/blackheads, clogged pores and the like by regenerating your skin cells and gently scrubbing your dead skin off. I'm not going to bore anyone with long scientific explanations, but feel free to visit these two sites to feed your brain: here and wikipedia. My skin seems to be a lot more evenly toned now and I have less visible blackheads. Generally, it seems to be working pretty well. However, I do suffer from mild peeling skin and I've yet to figure out what is causing it.

Toner - Hada Labo Arbutin Lotion


Just FYI, the Japs don't wipe toner onto their faces using cotton pads, they pat it gently onto the skin using their fingers and call it lotion instead. I have been using Hada Labo's Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Lotion (pictured on the left) and I really like it because although it's step 2 of facial care, it's so moisturizing that I usually skip moisturizing and go on to apply a whitening cream instead (which I've pretty much convinced myself is a form of moisturiser anyway). This toner is supposed to be so good that one is sold in Japan ever 4 seconds which is actually quite scary if you think about it. Think of all the empty disposed bottles... We're killing earth with our vanity! If there's any environmental friendly cosmetics that have worked well for you, feel free to tell me about it!! Back to the product, at first I was quite skeptical because of the word 'Acid' but I now know that not all acids are bad! And it honestly locks moisture in your skin and is does not have alcohol, mineral oil, colorant or fragrance which is awesome for troublesome skin like mine. I will be changing to Hada Labo's Arbutin Lotion when I'm through with my moisturizing bottle because the Arbutin Lotion will both moisturize and whiten skin! Yay! :D


Moisturiser - Hada Labo's Arbutin Milk




I still haven't found the perfect moisturizer yet. So I'll probably pick up Hada Labo's Arbutin Milk soon after I finish my 'trial' moisturizers which include Hazeline's White and Natural, L'Oreal's White Perfect. I use Egyptian Magic at night because it's heavier, probably suitable for the climate where I'm headed to. And I've done my research, it's available there! ;) L'Oreal's White Perfect (I have both night and day creams) just doesn't seem to be doing much for my skin. I believe it's even breaking me out a little - like clogging my pores - because it doesn't absorb as well. It makes me very shiny and is not moisturizing at all although its texture could've fooled me. Hazeline's White and Natural and Pond's White Beauty are quite similar in texture and they are perfect for day usage because they mattify your skin, but I am not loving Hazeline's White and Natural because it doesn't seem to have much of an effect whereas Pond's White Beauty promises results in 7 days and yea, I could see results fairly quickly. Btw, I feel obliged to warn you guys that the Hada Labo's milk and lotion packaging are very, very similar.

Facial Masks - Hada Labo's Retinol Anti-Aging Mask, Hada Labo's Arbutin Mask and Hada Labo's Moisturizing Mask, Garnier's Whitening Mask



I have never been a big fan of masks because they drip and make a mess. Although I really don't mind how it feels on my skin and its effects. Had a mini-rant about facial masks, but I guess it couldn't hurt to throw in a couple boxes of masks where I'm going. Garnier's mask which I blogged about back in May is by far my favorite because it really fits onto your skin so snugly and it isn't as flimsy as most tissue masks. I have never tried any of Hada Labo's masks, but since their products have worked for me so far, I'm expecting good results. It's never too late to start anti-aging care, and since masks are for extra skin-pampering the retinol mask is going in my luggage. Moisturizing masks is a MUST since my skin can be seriously dried out to the point of flaking in Malaysia's humid weather, what's to say when I leave for dry air?

Contact Lenses - Geo Nudy (Grey & Blue), Vivian 3Tone (Grey, Blue & Brown)



Blue

Brown

Grey

I love japanese/korean lenses, they are so damn cheap, you can get them from RM20 a pair online at jbtalks.cc but these contacts can go up to USD50, it's crazy. I don't think they post outside Malaysia so! I'm stocking up. I do not like lenses with black rims that are supposed to make your eyes look bigger, I used to, but then it started to look a bit creepy, especially since they are a lot bigger than my fucking irises so they move around and make me look like my eyes are wonked out. I've sworn them off forever. Now I am looking into Geo Nudy and Vivian 3tone contact lenses because I think they are GORGEOUS! Others that don't have the scary black rims (that I like) are Puffy 3 tone and Hybrid. But I only have a pair of eyes and my first choices are Geo Nudy and Vivian 3tone so.... *shrugs* Those weirdly patterned contact lenses also throw me off, I do not want stars, flowers, hearts or patterns in my eyes, please! The things people come up with! Geez. On another note, I also love i.Fairy contact lenses, especial the Nova series. But I have sworn off the black rimmed contact lenses and seeing as i.Fairy is more expensive and not as long-lasting as Geo (have never tried Vivian), the cons outweigh the pros.

Mini review on both i.Fairy and Geo:
Comfort -
i.Fairy: 4/5
Geo: 3/5
Geo tends to stick onto eyeballs and is generally very drying whereas i.Fairy kinda just disappears and you'll soon forget you're wearing lens.

Durability -
i.Fairy: 2.5/5
Geo: 4/5
I am quite rough with things and I like to let my nails grow long so the soft i.Fairy lenses aren't really cut out for me. If you're really careful and tender and all that, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be an issue for you.

Price -
i.Fairy: 3/5
Geo: 5/5
I don't really wear contacts very much, usually only when I go clubbing so I don't see the need to invest in the slightly more expensive, less durable but more comfortable lens. And I spoil things easily, I have torn, dried out (by not refilling solution) and lost more lenses than I can count!

Disclaimer: The pictures for the products were all taken from google images. I'm far too lazy to photograph them myself.

Since I'm leaving for an indefinite time, I'm finding good, permanent homes for my pets. I have a crazy, hyperactive black pug, a neutered siamese mix which is super duper affectionate and a pair of sugar gliders. The pug, Blackie, is reserved by a Sibu-ian who apparently loves pugs. I believe he has about 8 of them. There are no takers for my siamese, Vanilla, or my gliders yet but I'm confident I'll be able to find good homes for them before I leave. Let me know if you're in Kuching and you're interested in adopting!

It's upsetting, but at least they will be given attention and time I have not been able to provide. Just as my daddy put it: Love isn't enough. I am not responsible enough for them even though I love them dearly. I was stubborn and thought I was more capable than I really was. But I've accepted my mistake and I'm trying to rectify it. Soon, I will no longer be held back by responsibility and I can finally chase my dreams. I'm not giving them away to chase my dreams. I'm giving them away because they are too much for me to handle, and without them, I am finally able to do what I want and therefore I'm going for it. 

5 comments:

  1. guys also need to take care of their skin, but not till the extent of a lady lah.. anyway, all the best in your adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes that is very true! but i've met more guys with lovely baby soft skin than girls!! life is unfaaaaaaaiir!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think applying whitening mask really help but it must be done often, like very often LOL and I always wanted to try out hada labo products, thanks for the review, will be trying out the products soon <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I was wondering whether you got the Egyptian Magic from a store in Malaysia or online? I would like to try it myself but it's so pricey online!!!
    Do you think it will suit people that do not have dry skin? I heard wonders about this but am concerned it might be too rich for me.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jennifer! i got the egyptian magic from lowyat at around RM130. :) it actually is quite heavy, so if you end up purchasing it, bear in mind that less is more. as my skin can be rather oily, i tend to steer clear of it in the day time and only use it at night. hope that answers your question! but i'd suggest that you get a sample first, as with any new skincare product - to test for suitability.

      xx

      Delete

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter