Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Nitty Gritty of Leaving Home

This was originally an essay. I broke it up so that you can read about issues that interest you most cos I know I tend to go on and on and on and on... So you're leaving home huh? Specifically from Kuching to Melbourne? Or maybe you're just stalking me, wondering how I'm doing? HAHA. Let me enlighten you on a few things.

Kuchingites are lazy as fuck. 
I don't want to sound like a spoilt brat, but before coming to Melbourne, my only form of exercise was going hiking once in the blue moon or walking 50 steps to the Spring shopping mall. Kuching people, be honest. You know exactly what I mean. We are SO lazy. We double park, park on curbs, park on white lines just so that we can be near our destination. I have seen many instances of:

Someone parks their car, sees another space (usually not even a designated parking lot) and slides out of the place they originally parked to park nearer to the other space even if it's just 10 steps away!

That's how lazy we are! AHAHAHA.. Honestly, I find it so enlightening now that I have to walk 10-15 mins to the supermarket every other day. I don't have that horrible slug rising in my gut saying pleeeeeeaaaaaaaseeeeeee nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... That lazy worm that rises its ugly head everytime there's even a suggestion of walking. Obviously, you may feel that I have no other choice. That's true. But the thing is, I don't feel like walking is such a chore anymore.

But that could also be because Kuching is so darn hot and humid, getting out of a well conditioned car can be a little too demanding hahaha...

Melbourne's SUN is more potent than Kuching.
I love the beautiful breezes in Melbourne! Which is probably why I don't mind walking. However, I have to tell everyone the truth: You will not get fairer in Melbourne! The sun is... Powerful. I don't know how else I can describe it. When the sunlight hits me, I feel like my SKIN is literally MELTING off.

So, don't play play. Those people who said yes you'll get fairer in Melbourne didn't give you the whole truth.

You will get fairer probably during the other seasons but in SUMMER? Keep dreaming, babe. So!!! Sunblock on, hats on, wear long sleeves and shoes so you don't get awful tan lines (unless you like them). I had to learn it the hard way. :(

If you are one of those assholes that told people you can get fairer... I don't care if you did, cos I didn't. Not while getting BBQed alive.

Source: Google Images
Also, THEY DO NOT SELL ANY WHITENING PRODUCTS HERE SO GET YOURS FROM WHEREVER YOU'RE COMING FROM.

My encounters with salesgirls often end with them giving me a "are you high/retarded/weird" expression before walking away. Take it from me - if it wasn't obvious enough already - these people ENJOY being tan. Fair is pale is unattractive. D:

On another, more serious note: UV causes cancer, so please use sunblock regardless whether you want a tan or not. 

You don't know how spoilt you are until you have to leave home. 
I thought that I was so independent back in Kuching but now I realize I only had a tenth of the responsibilities I have now. I now know why my dad nge nge wanted to send me away. Once you leave home, you have to keep in mind that you are on your own.

Food - There was never a lack of food in Kuching. First of all, we can fill our tummies for around RM5-RM10 (less than AUD3) so you always have meals with friends or family. Secondly, mommy always cooked for me. Whenever she asked me to cook with her, that lazy worm would say no. Now? If you don't cook you don't eat. Forget eating out, the prices here are so steep that you won't even feel hungry anymore after converting. The first week was horrible. Neither of us knew how to cook well. The food was tasteless and ew.

Bills - WHAT BILLS?! All of the sudden, there are bills & rent to be paid. Sounds easy? Not if you've never done it before. Think about it, if you've never baked a cake in your life, even baking the simplest cake would seem like a feat to you! So for about a week, I was calling the companies up and down trying to make sense of it all. Thank god that's all done and over with. Tip: Always use direct debit so that you don't get charged extra.

Money - Being away from home means that you have to start keeping track of your money and having a budget. It's a learnt skill to make the most out of what you have. :D If you never had to go grocery shopping, I wish you good luck. I have always done the shopping at home so it's all good. It's a lot easier here cos they have mobile applications for their supermarkets so you can check out what items they have on sale!

Transport - I was thinking of Singapore when I came here. But it's SO NOT. Singapore has countless signs to make sure you know exactly where you are. There are little to no signs here. Granted, Singapore is tiny, but their MRT system is the best out of all the places I've been to. In Melbourne, you can take either the train or the tram or bus. I can't even begin to tell you how complicated it is because I still don't understand it yet. It's cool though, cos people are helpful when it comes to directions.

But at the end of the day, you will miss wherever you were from so much it hurts. You'll miss your family, your friends, your pets, your home, your room, your bed...

That's all I can think of right now... Probably will be back with a PART TWO if I haven't bored you to death already.

2 comments:

  1. Show me your sexy tan lines!!! Wuahahaha

    Yupp, have to agree that once you stay alone you will learn how to hunt for the best deal/offer. Maggie became my irritating buddy whenever I'm too broke to dine outside.

    Update me more XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. eToro is the ultimate forex broker for newbie and professional traders.

    ReplyDelete

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter