Friday, March 9, 2012

Kony 2012, do you honestly care?

People are easily manipulated with words and videos. I haven't seen the Kony video because I would be as easily influenced.

You were me before you watched the video. You were ignorant, and blissfully so! You didn't care about what went on in the world as long as it didn't affect you personally. You knew about poverty, orphans, trafficking, but you chose to close your eyes to it until this video came along. When you saw the video, you felt empowered that you could do something about it, so you shared it and tweeted it. But remember, before watching it, you didn't know and you didn't care.

What changed?

Source: 9gag
Each picture triggers a different emotion, tells a different story. How do you know that Invisible Children aren't just showing you the footages to manipulate you? Obviously, they are trying to get their message across by any means necessary. I'm not saying that Invisible Children are doing the wrong thing, they are a controversial group by far. But I choose to believe that they are an organization that are trying to do the right thing, it's just that there's a point where you have to start fighting fire with fire. Army against army. I'm not saying that Kony is not a villain, I'm just saying that prior to the video, you didn't care.

Originally, I tweeted about this issue:





Then, I realized that 140 characters in a tweet wasn't enough to get the message across. I needed to blog about it to get it out of my system. I'm not justifying my indifference, I'm trying to tell you that suffering is inevitable. We cannot escape it. How do you know that what you use in your daily life isn't a byproduct of it? If you really want to make a difference, you wouldn't merely spread awareness. You would do something about it. Sharing the issue and hoping that someone will take care of it isn't going to make it go away.

People think that just because their hands are clean, that they did not participate, it makes them innocent. But you know what? None of us are. I condemn people who eat shark fin soup and turtle eggs because turtles are going extinct and sharks are thrown back into the ocean to die a slow, agonizing death after their fins are sliced off. But I have - ignorantly - bought a pretty bag (and countless shoes) which I later found out to be made from real leather. I don't care about where my bacon comes from and whether it has lived a good life. I don't care where my clothes come from, they might as well be from a factory that exploits children and women but so what? Who cares? Do you? Not me.

If you boycott KFC but you don't make sure the eggs you buy are from free range chicken, doesn't it make you a hypocrite? If you criticize people on buying fur but you do not care to think whether the pork or beef you eat is abuse-free, doesn't it make you a hypocrite? If you complain about pollution but continue to pollute the world by driving a car and using air-conditioning, doesn't it make you a hypocrite?

What Kony does is merely a gross, exaggerated example of what we do.

If you want to do your part, there is so much more you can do. You can save strays, adopt from the shelter, give food & clothes to the poor, make informed decisions by being aware, the list goes on and on and on. I don't know all there is to know, I don't know all the ways to help. But these little things count too, it's not just the big things that matter.

Remember how your mother told you that you will lose your soul by watching too much television? She was right. Media is brainwashing us. Shit happens everyday, and you don't care, why do you care about Kony?

Wake up. 

5 comments:

  1. This is a good post with new perspective. We can just do our part, however little it may be. Salut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and thought provoking post! I've often thought the same thing too. It's the herd mentality at play here. People only make a big deal about something when it's publicised. When the news is no longer hot, everyone will conveniently forget about it. And yes, sharing and tweeting blindly does not make one a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. exactly. same story goes on when I see people sharing Stop Lynas campaign on Facebook and Twitter. It is like, they are giving a shit about it because it is a trend, everyone is doing it so if I dont do it, I am not up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There has been much speculation over the group 'Invisible children', and rightly so. Any charity pushing for military intervention does not get my sympathy regardless of the cause. How is supporting the Ugandan government going to help eradicated Kony when he is not even in Uganda anymore? It's not and it will most likely cause the Ugandan government to invade other countries in search of this man.

    How many wars need to be fought, how many lives need to be lost until we wake from our slumber and realize that war is not and never has been a viable option. Violence begets violence and hate begets hate.
    /rant

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess what we have to do is to hope and pray. Because the 'shit' you're talking about is actually happening. And yes, suffering is inevitable however it isn't invariable.

    It is refreshing to learn that someone (invisible children) is making their own ways to help the oppressed. Let's just be happy with that, shall we? And hope the better rises to the surface.

    --A.

    ReplyDelete

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter