Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Book: The Host

"What was it that made human love so much more desirable to me than the love of my own kind? Was it because it was exclusive and capricious? The souls offered love and acceptance to all. Did I crave a greater challenge?...Or was it simply better somehow? Because these humans hate with so much fury, was the other end of the spectrum that they could love with more heart and zeal and fire?" ― Stephenie Meyer, The Host
Source: Google Images
I've read this book multiple times and it still gets to me! I decided to reread the whole thing because I realized that there is a bonus chapter filling the blank pages of 593 - 596. Yes, I read the whole book for 3 extra pages.

Be warned that Stephanie Meyer is very talented at writing stories from a teenage girl's perspective (complete with raging hormones). I have a love-hate thing going on with her love for main characters that suffers from altruism & is incredibly selfless while tearing your heart to pieces - unless you've just been reduced to a sniggering pile of assholism. I won't blame you though, if I wasn't so incredibly female (sarcasm for emotional) I would be too. I am also forced to point out that she really has some bestiality issues. Her male leads are always growling or snarling. Not to mention in Twilight (her OTHER book) the female lead is torn between necrophilia and bestiality which is even more disturbing. 

Back to the female leads being selfless, which is apparent in both The Host & the Twilight saga, Bella & Wanda share the same desperate need to protect the ones they love while being oh-so-fragile and helpless. Stephanie tries too hard to portray a weakling who is entirely self-sacrificing and therefore strong. With me so far? What's more, there's always a male character (Jacob/Ian) that sees the female lead for what she really is - pure, innocent, the whole shebang ok? 

I think she writes entire stories just revolving around how her female leads can be so pure and how much they must all suffer in spite of their goodness. But despite their purity and innocence, they always believe the worst case scenario only to be proven wrong again and again (Edward's love for Bella, the acceptance of Wanda). And despite the female leads' purity, they are sex crazed. Thank god for the men who abstain. 

Source: Google Images
But then, I enjoyed the book because it will filled with emotion - even if they aren't realistic in the sense that no one would ever be under those perfectly schemed circumstances - the raw emotions from the book are what I loved.

Twi-Haters may feel like I'm lacking in taste but meh. To each their own.

Oh JOY! They are making a movie. Please please please blow me away? Don't be a major disappointment like Twilight or an almost there adaptation of Hunger Games? SAOIRSE RONAN IS IN IT SO GOD HELP ME BLOW ME AWAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter