Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Bf's Bday Cake!

It was Adam's birthday yesterday so I decided to do something I've never done before. Bake & decorate a cake! I googled "easy fondant" lol because truth be told I don't have all the ingredients needed for the generic fondant and there's no point in me buying a whole bag of gelatin just to use a tbsp. I found marshmallow fondant and I thought it was perfect because marshmallows come in different colors so I don't have to buy coloring which I'll never ever use again! For anyone who's interested, here's the link: http://candy.about.com/od/fondantcandyrecipes/r/mm_fondant.htm Now everyone can make easy peasy fondant to surprise whoever.


So I bought pink & white marshmallows to make the fondant... There are no step by step pictures because all I did was follow the instructions - actually, I didn't follow their measurements, which resulted in really sticky fondant because I didn't know how fondant was supposed to be like, lol. At the end I just kept adding icing sugar until I thought I could work with it. So my measurements were kinda like 15 marshmallows and almost 250g of icing sugar.

I don't have any step by step pictures of how I made the designs/deco/whatever you wanna call it because 1. I was in a rush (he gets off class at 4pm, takes him about 45 mins to get home) and when I came home after buying ingredients and pressies it was already roughly 3pm. 2. The designs are really basic. For the base, I rolled up the pink fondant into 2 sausages and the white fondant into one sausageish shape and started flattening it with my palms cos I don't even have a roller. I tried using a chopstick, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that wasn't going to work. Then I laid it on the cake and cut off the excess and tucked the sides in. For the words, I flattened the fondant and cut out lotsa strips and cut them accordingly. Since fondant is quite soft, you can actually shape them into circles, which was what I did for the 2nd character. Then, I used a needle to cut out heart shapes because DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO MAKE TINY HEART SHAPES WITH A KNIFE?! Lastly, I used water to adhere the words/hearts to the base. Halfway through, I realized I should put water on the underside of the words/hearts instead of slathering the base with water. As you can see, there are a few wet spots. >~<




Up close, you can see that it's actually kinda fail because the fondant isn't very smooth and I guess I wasn't fast enough cos the fondant kinda dried up and cracked a lil (otherwise, experienced bakers, feel free to explain). But oh well, it's the thought that counts right? And for someone who has never done anything like this before or have any appropriate tools, I thought I did pretty well. :O

3 comments:

  1. WA! *bangga* hahahahahahahaha.. But why u no show the cake? Anyways, dinner sometime next week cause a friend of mine is coming over from perth next week so most prob will be cooking since my uncle's restaurant will be closed for a few days next week. hehehhe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh cos the cake is too damn ugly ahahah!!! i burnt it but all that is covered up by the magic which is fondant! x3

      Delete

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter