Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Visual entertainment for the day :)

So I spent today lazing home and watching a few films and videos. Visual entertainment.

Twelve is such an innovative piece of film. I love how all the characters have their own personal demons and are all intertwined but led such separate lives. I love the storytelling and I love the implication of consequences, even indirect ones. Butterfly effect. Beautiful. Everything was nicely tied up. Love.

Breakfast Club on the other hand, tries too much and is overrated to the point that it has lost its original charm (if any). It is a competition about which stereotype has the worst family background: a rich kid whose parents are neglectful but are not lacking in their capacity for love or whatever, a kid who doesn't have much except an abusive father, a kid whose parents don't seem to exist despite the kid's mental issues, the kid who merely the parent's shell - with no self identity, or the kid whose parents has such high expectations that suicide would have been the better option. Everyone's personal misery feels the strongest, but do we really need to compare? Telling someone to cheer up because someone else has it worse is the same as telling everyone else they can't be happy because someone out there is happier. We are all in the same game, just on different levels and dealing with different demons. I really expected Breakfast Club to be up there with Fight Club (yeah I'm gonna geek out and say I BROKE THE FIRST RULE SO WHAT) but hey, nothing is ever as expected.

This brings me to audition clips for shows like American Idol and Britain's Got Talent and X Factor or The Voice. I started off watching the guy with a stutter and was blown away. Then I decided to search for more touching auditions. You know, the ones with the saddest life story but with the most beautiful singing? But then I realized that not all of them are incredible singers. And then it hit me. Since when did we need a sob story in order to judge talent? See, I don't see how it's relevant to their singing, because that's what's important, right? Otherwise, why don't we start judging ANTM based on their life stories? It's called the pity vote people, I wouldn't want it and neither should you.

On another hand, if you are capable of making the audience feel for you, you've successfully convinced them that they know you. Stupid, I know, but true. Anyway, that sells. And if it sells, we can be sure that media companies would optimize on that shit.

Lastly, Perks of Being a Wallflower played on too many things. It was a teen angst, romance, whimsical, psychological, deep film all at once. Life is complex, but if you start putting all sorts of mythical creatures together, it begins to feel fake. Emma Watson was a MPDG, the brother was a broken gay, his gay partner was his forbidden love and the main character is the soulful nerdy loser. How much more over could you get? It was a ball of explosive emotion. But it is a great coming of age film on self discovery. I'm just unhappy because the only thing which enticed me to watch it was: "We accept the love we think we deserve" and I expected more revelations in the movie but nope. I could've just watched the trailer and left it at that.

Funny how some words like 'soulful' cannot be truly described yet is clearly defined in our minds? And 'non-threatening beauty'. What is that, right? Because it doesn't really make sense. How can you not be intimidated by awesome beauty? Along with certain words, awesome and magnificent meant almost exactly the same thing and yet awesome sounds cheap while magnificent feels regal. But let's try to break away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter