Saturday, September 28, 2013

What kind of Internet life do you lead?

I am so shocked at how the internet could drastically affect a person's life that I don't even know where to begin. I mean, I always knew that whatever you put on the internet would inadvertently come back to you. Every piece you send out into the world is a piece of yourself which may be received differently from your original intention. But you never really expect it.

I guess I'll start by digressing. I was browsing Alodia Gosiengfiao's page.

Source: DeviantArt.

This is the first picture I've ever seen of her. Any Asian capable of pulling of blonde locks are immediately stored in my brain as "hot chick".
I think she is pretty in an unconventional, mannequin-esque way. I respect her tremendously for being so self conscious of herself that she is always photographed well. It takes both skill and a pretty face to look perfect for the cameras constantly. Even the most photogenic may be caught looking like a beast. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe she is effortlessly beautiful. In which case, you could say that it was girly envy or the inquisitive nature of media students who are taught never to take everything at face value which prompted me to turn to Google to see if she's had any work done. Good ole trusty Google. Where would the world be without you?

It took me to the forum - Pretty Ugly Little Liar. It's one of those forums where they trash talk about online personalities, similar to Guru Gossip. So I took everything on the site with a grain of salt. I honestly don't understand why it is necessary to have any kind of hate site/forum. I understand that sometimes, a person's lies can get too much to handle and you just want to find an outlet but there's 7 billion people on this planet and you can't turn your eyes to another individual?

Anyway.

I saw the names Dakota and Valeria (aka human barbies) and was elated because I thought "wheeee more pretty girls to look at!" so I googled the first foreign name I came across - Kiki Kannibal. Sounds pretty cool, doesn't she?

Wait till you read her story.

To be fair, Kiki's story is pretty fucked up. It struck ice in my heart to be reminded how ruthless and illogical humans can be. But the kicker isn't written in the story. It's when you come to the horrible realization that the 11 year old sister in the story is Dakota.

I'll just let that sink in for a bit.

Dakota aka Kotakoti is Kiki Kannibal's baby sister. 
Kiki on the left, Dakota on the right. Source: Google Images.
So... Despite having first hand experience of how things can go horribly wrong, Dakota decided she wanted a slice of internet fame? Despite having a daughter whose online persona put her life in danger and bankrupted the family, the parents of the two girls allowed Dakota to follow Kiki's footsteps to become an internet celebrity?

What. Fuckery. Is. This.

I'm neither a parent, a psychiatrist nor am I them. I won't pretend I've considered every possible scenario which might have led them to the decision of allowing another child to be yet again exposed to the force of the internet.

I just want to remind everyone, myself included, how real the internet is and how destructive it can be. My mind can barely wrap around the implications of what future generations may face - growing up with this free and dangerously easy platform to an audience of 7 billion.

Younger generations probably feel much more comfortable with technology than older generations like myself and I believe that our wariness has saved us. We know it is unnatural in a way, because we remember a time whereby we were not plugged in to the world wide web but the internet is all they've ever known. We remember privacy and mystery. As far as the younger ones are concerned, privacy is a setting and everyone wants to be famous.

However, we either move forward or we get left behind. Who knows what the future may bring. The internet may cease to become cool as hipsters take over the world but I think that it is here to stay. Don't assume that you can post anything just because you're posting from the safety of your home. Once you're on the net, you're out in the open. So be street smart. It's a big world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter