Friday, March 7, 2014

Weekend Getaway at Damai Central (Kuching)

Disclaimer: Photos without my watermark are provided by BB Bunkers.



First off, I would like to thank Damai Central and Sarawak Bloggers for the weekend getaway. Sarawak Bloggers hooked us up with Damai Central, whose management generously provided accommodation, food and entertainment!

I never realized how self sufficient Damai Central is. I mean you can practically live there without ever needing to leave (guess that's the idea eh?). They screen movies at the Barok Amphitheater every odd Saturday from 7:30pm onwards at RM3 per person for two movies. They have a laundry and a 7/11 which takes care of pretty much everything. Not to mention, there's also a restaurant, a lounge and even a pharmacy! And there's no shortage of activities either:

Click to enlarge!




BB Bunkers is not your usual backpacker dormitory. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it. It is an interesting blend of woodwork, cement and steel. Kinda like hi tech minimalism. Check out these lockers:



It can only be opened with their fancy bracelet. The bracelet is waterproof and is also the key to enter the dorm, making the place rather secure so you can rest peacefully. However, I must admit I was rather appalled by the steel structure surrounding each deck. While I appreciate the extra privacy and space, I felt caged. Also, do note that the decks for 2 single beds do not have curtains, unlike the other decks pictured below:




Despite everything, it is comfortable and really quite cozy. Being a dormitory, their prices start from RM50. Aside from single beds, they also have couple pods with queen beds and a family room with a sofa bed. Not sure how much they cost exactly, but feel free to contact them and get a quote!



Lastly, they have this little nook where you can chill and watch movies!



After my friend and I settled in, we went for a walk and found a place to chill at Escape Bar.





We watched two men attempting to get their kayak out into the ocean and failing miserably due to the strong waves until they finally gave up. Safe to say, I now know better than to try kayaking in high tide.

As dinner time rolled around, we headed to Escobar for a complimentary dinner!





If you ever happen to dine at Escobar, do try the Chicken Cutlet with Paratha because it is AWESOME. I also loved the Feta Cheese Salad. YUMMERS. I'm not a big fan of seafood so I don't have much to say about the Fish Umai other than... I DIDN'T KNOW FISH UMAI MEANT RAW FISH. AHHHHH I ACCIDENTALLY INGESTED RAW RAW RAW RAW RAW fish. D: The fettuccine was not to my liking because, well, seafood and it wasn't spicy at all. Furthermore, the pasta was a bit overcooked and I like my pasta al dente.

Then came dessert, turon de banana.


I don't have a sweet tooth but it is pretty nice. It's like banana fritters with honey and a dusting of sugar.

After dinner, we headed back to Escape Bar and enjoyed tuak cocktail.




The cocktail was sweeter than I could take so the manager kindly gave my friend and I a glass of pure tuak each. Tuak is rice wine, an alcoholic drink originating from the locals. While it ranges from sweet to spicy, there is a very satisfying aftertaste. Something you should definitely try if you haven't.


Being the picky eater that I am, I didn't have enough at dinner so we ended up back at the dormitory, eating instant cup noodles from the 7/11 right next door. :D


After supper, we crawled into bed and talked till we fell asleep. The next day, we were woken up by the organizers who have prepared breakfast vouchers, a tour of damai central and activities for us. Due to the rain, we opted out of jungle trekking and waited out the rain before heading back to Kuching, feeling refreshed and ready to face life again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter