Sunday, June 15, 2014

A short update on life.

I got a job! I'm no longer a parasite leeching off my dad, with no effort to improve or contribute to the family whatsoever anymore. I no longer shop and rot and drink the nights away with the money dad has given me. I have a job. 

It's not really a matter of how I spend the money, but how I live my life. I'm no longer that piece of shit who sleeps till 4pm and then parties till 4am. Repeat times infinity (or until someone drops from overdose or the long nights). It's like giving money to a trash can. The first few months were great, but then things started to get a bit... Meaningless. I also put on a lot of weight HAHA. The honeymoon period between graduating and getting a job should never last more than 6 months. Mine went on for 10. The first 3 months were the best, I could tell people I just graduated, that I wanted to enjoy life for a little bit before jumping into a lifetime commitment of working. Everyone agreed with me strongly, told me to enjoy myself. But past 6 months, my reasons started to sound a bit thin, even to my own ears and I could barely bring myself to say I just came back from Australia, that I just graduated. Because after 3 months, you didn't just anything. You're already a graduate veteran. I could feel the judgement in their eyes, hear the whispers... But I didn't want to just settle for anything. 

I had a little stint in a production firm, but it didn't work out. I freelanced for the company by writing scripts and acting, and I was sent to write a script for a pharmaceuticals company who tried to hire me. When I rejected the offer to be in medicine, the boss for the company lost interest in me and my script. So until now, I'm still unpaid for the script I wrote. Any attempts at contacting either one was ignored. I don't blame the production company, though. I was told to keep them updated on the status of the script but I didn't. I didn't understand whether that meant to let them know when the script was finalized, or to keep them in the loop with every draft and development, and I never asked. I suppose I lacked initiative. I was unsure of myself, I waited for precise instructions. But I know now that nobody is going to care about my work because should

I was also almost hired as a freelance photographer for a well known hotel in Kuching, but that fell through because they decided that they've overspent for the year. I don't understand going through all that trouble of getting in touch with a photographer, drawing up a schedule only to flake on the whole idea. I mean they've known about their financial status and budget all this while, so why bother? But I guess that's just how it goes. Photography is incredibly flaky business. And I don't think I'm good enough to be paid to photograph yet, anyway. 

So, I waited and chased and waited some more for a job I actually want. When the opportunity arose, I jumped at it and didn't let go. My one advice to you jobseekers: Don't be afraid to look desperate. Employers want to hire someone with passion, someone who would love their job. Show them your desperation, it shows them how much you want it. It's not shameful to want something. And if you don't, walk away, don't waste your time or theirs. Unless you really need the money. Just don't forget that if you do what you love, you would never have to work a day in your life. 

It took me 3 months to secure a position but it's worth it. I've been working at HitzFM for almost a month now, as a cruiser, with dreams of becoming an announcer! Maybe one day you'll turn on the radio and there I'll be... Talking to you. :) 


2 comments:

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter