Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Project Green

I have a new project. I want to do what I can am willing to, to be more ecofriendly! I chose not to use the word 'can', because the truth is, there is much we can do but are unwilling to do because it involves sacrifice. I'm not giving up my technology and the conveniences it offers. Nope, but I'll be more than willing to muck around in my garden, make it pretty and as sustainable as my knowledge and skill set allows. I mean I'm hardly a carpenter or a farm girl... Although, when I was younger... All I wanted was to have a farm of my own. All thanks to an Enid Blyton book called The Children of Willow Farm. I was so enchanted by the romantic notion of living off the earth and the animals I'd keep that I lost slight of reality. If you can dream it, you can do it? Well, yes. Yes, I could. But I won't because I do not want to live away from my family and friends, with only nature as my sole companion. I can't.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way... I'm going to name it: Shades of Green. Because of the varying degrees of willingness, and various little actions that can make a difference. Perhaps you're a defense player and would rather just use recyclable bags or not litter. Maybe you prefer and offense position and is more satisfied with planting trees, raising awareness. But it all makes a difference. 

I very nearly named it Circle of Life. The idea is that everything has its time and place. Everything can be reused, recycled or repurposed. It's also a Lion King reference, and a great song.

Anyway, what brought this on?

A ladies finger plant decided to make my garden its home and DING! Lightbulb moment! I can plant my own vegetables and utilize the plot of land around my house instead of letting weeds consume it! So, I bought a hoe, started to whack away at the soil and discovered the smell of the earth. And that was it.

I started to read up on all kinds of plants, especially herbs and mosquito-repelling plants. I also studied about chickens care - I had broiler chickens before (chickens raised for their meat - I had 3 and they disappeared one by one till I realized that my mom has been cooking them! OH THE HORROR.) and now I'm interested in getting some egg-laying hens. They could be my little compost factories, gardening companions and I would really like to be able to say: "I feel sad for the generation that has never once in their life tasted FRESH eggs" because apparently people who hasn't had fresh eggs before are really missing out. I also went on Pinterest to look at DIY recyclables, etc etc. You get the idea.

So here's to the birth of a new found passion!

1 comment:

  1. Well, the best way is to reduce or stop buying junks . All the tacky stuff out there are just a big waste of natural resources.

    ReplyDelete

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter