Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Rainforest World Music Festival Day One

I got the opportunity to go to Rainfest for the very first time this year, thanks to Sarawak Tourism Board and Sarawak Bloggers. I was filled with wonder as I walked through Cultural Village and marveled at this hidden gem in Kuching. The place was bursting with life and joy, all united by a passion for music. I was there for the promise of new experience and I was not disappointed.


The environment is unlike any other in Kuching, and for that I was enchanted. The lights and setup lent a foreign feeling to a familiar place. The air I breathed was as comfortingly humid as ever but I was transported to a time and place which I never knew existed in my home. In that moment, I felt infuriated for not having been. Much like when I discovered pork leg and cursed my younger self for being a picky and unadventurous eater.


I made it in time to meet the other bloggers for a couple of beers before heading to Blackbeard's Tea Party together.

Ana's friend (I'm sorry I'm terrible with faces & names) took this photo of us! From left: Ana, Garner, Ophelia, Fahri, yours truly, Lindy and Khairool. I cheated and copied the names off Lindy's blog. Alyssa was there too but I didn't realize it was her until the 2nd day - like I said, bad with faces & names - which is amazing cos I kinda just started stalking discovered her.

Anyway, I dived right into the pit to get a couple of shots. It was Christmas day with kittens and puppies on a bed of cotton candy for me. I was wide eyed at the photographic opportunities and the lack of heads in my viewfinder.


I'm not going to lie, I felt like a VIP, strutting around in the pit and snapping away... Trying to look confident in the sea of various lenses which were so much more obnoxious than the one I chose to use. Now I know how guys feel about their equipment and why size is such a delicate topic.

But enough about superficialities, let us return to the mesmerizing night of feel good vibes.






Watching the pirates enjoy themselves on stage made me happy. I suppose it's natural to be moved by another's passion... Especially one that burns white hot.


I was high off the feeling of being so present in the moment, rather than the music. I cannot for the life of me, remember their tunes but I remember how it felt. We were a collective consciousness, yet separate in our individuality. I was enchanted by the enjoyment of others. Shy, yet determined. I have always been reluctant to take candid shots of strangers, despite loving them the most. I tell myself that the moment I want to photograph would be gone by the time I am able to take the shot. But that night I told myself to just do it anyway, maybe I'll get lucky. And I did.


Stay passionate, inspire others and don't ever be afraid of looking to others for inspiration and be motivated by their passion.

2 comments:

FacebookInstagramYoutubeTwitter